It is only a little after 7:30 am and though I have the opportunity to sleep late, I am awake and feeling compelled to write about what happened about 10 pm or so in the eastern United States. An African-American became the President elect for the first time in the history of our country. A monumental, historical happening. And I watched and listened to John McCain give a moving concession speech. It actually made me cry. And then the journalists who commented on his speech said that the John McCain that they knew to be a public servant was the one who spoke last night and they don't know where that John McCAin has been these last few weeks (or months) of the election campaign. They said they believed if America had seen THAT John McCAin the election might have turned out differently. I can see why they would say that. I have a different view of him as a result of that speech that supposedly reflected the "true" John McCain.
Obama, in his acceptance speech, thanked heartily his campaign manager and some people he called strategists (or something like that), which made me realize that the election process really is a strategical "game" if you will. Yes the candidates have their ideas and opinions about how to lead the country or what needs fixing or whatever, and they each have their own personalities and character, but it really comes down to who played the game the best and Obama played a better game. That and I personally believe him to be an outstanding person who is very well equipped to lead our country in a positive direction. McCain said the failure to win was his own. I believe that the only reason he could take the blame for "failure" might be that he chose a campaign manager who advised him poorly. One that had him not be himself (note to self). That and choosing the running mate he did who was so divisive in my opinion by her name calling and such.
Now, I definitely have a higher opinion of John McCain now than I ever have before. The way he spoke about supporting his new president and hoping the other members of the republican party would do the same. It was very unifying. He seemed genuinely upset when his supporters booed at some things he said. The journalists commented about that as well, saying they thought it was unbecoming or poor sportsmanship (paraphrased).
I definitely feel a sense of hope regarding our country. With the historical results of this election our country has no other choice but to experience major change. And I am glad to be a part of it.
And as I said repeatedly last night "I so essited!" (I'm so excited) Woohoo!
7 comments:
It truly is a momentous occasion and I am so thrilled to be a part of it. I believe Barack Obama to be teeming with decency, brilliant at whatever he endeavors and I just love that he is now our next president. Tears, tears of joy. To see Oprah in the audience last night at Grant Park with tears in her eyes, to see Jesse Jackson, Sr. in that audience with tears in his eyes moved me to tears along with all of the other supporters I saw with their own quiet tears. Truly historic occasion.
As for McCain, your comments reminded me of one of my favorite quotes: “A good leader takes a little more than his share of the blame and a little less than his share of credit.” -Arnold H. Glasgow
I agree that his speech made me appreciate McCain more. But I'm still grateful that the Palin nightmare is now over...for now anyway!
I too am excited and thrilled. And Lynn, I agree, I saw a different side of McCain in his concession speech. I said during it, wow, if he had spoken like that during the campaign things might have been different for him. Also, if he had gotten Sarah Palin to act more like a golden retriever rather than a pit bull!
I do hope all parties can now come together to solve this country's problems. We all have been left with such a mess!
I called my kids immediately when the networks called the election for Obama. I am so thrilled that their first presidential election was this historic one! I was so excited. I'm feeling very emotional right now as I type this! Seeing as how I'm at work I will try not to start weeping with joy throughout the day! I am so, so hopeful!
No doubt this is important. Obama is our first black President. Just as important, for me: he was not born into wealth. He grew up in a family of modest means.
There was a lot to make fun of in the McCain/Palin campaign, but Obama stayed dignified throughout. Even when Obama was reporting that McCain could not recall how many houses he owns, Obama did it with a straight face. Obama was sending us a message. The message was: There is a problem here. McCain is out of touch. Sure, it's a little bit funny. But more importantly, a person like that should not become President (or even a Senator, or an officeholder of any type, I would say).
I feel good about this election because we are giving the position of President to the more thoughtful and sensible candidate.
Was only able to stay up to see McCain's concession speech which I was impressed with and saw snips of Obama's acceptance this morning. I was crying this morning and hopping all over the different channels to see and hear different people. I feel so amazed and grateful that I and my family are living during such an historical time to witness and experience all that this is. Chicago is my hometown from long ago....would have loved to have been standing in Grant Park last night!
I think right now we all need to remember to say prayers for America and especially for Obama and his family. I want him to stick around for a nice long while! We have a long road to ride but it will surely be easier now that I don't have to move to Canada or anywhere else for that matter!~~~~paula
I am excited about Obama, not because he is a black man, but because is solid, reasonable, strong and teems with integrity. He truly has me feeling hopeful about the American Dream for all people.
McCain too made me proud. I may not like his approach or his politics but in the end he demonstrated that he is truly a loyal American. Here's hope that the healing has begun.
And Palin...whew!Glad it's over, at least for now.
i agree that whoever decided McCain should try harder to fit in with the expectations of his party made a mistake. who that was, i'm not sure. i DO know that McCain's advisors did not pick Palin - in fact they were appalled at his choice of her as his running mate.
i do think McCain had a lot to offer, and i hope he and President-Elect Obama will find ways to work together, which they both seem poised to do.
Post a Comment