Saturday, 7 February 2009

OCD

I have some OCD tendencies and that is why I can't stop thinking about things sometimes. Wanna know more about it? OK.....

# OCD is an anxiety disorder
# OCD is a neurological malfunction in the frontal part of the brain causing cells to misfire during information processing and decision-making
OCD affects 2.5-4% of the population making it the second most common mental health disorder after depression

What is happening to the person?

The essential features of OCD are recurrent obsessions (intrusive thoughts) that create an awareness of alarm or threat, e.g. "I might get AIDS from the germs on that door knob;" "Since I had the thought of killing my baby, I might be capable of doing it;" or "If I don't pick up that dirty litter someone else might get sick from it, and I would hold myself responsible;" etc.) They are more usually followed by a compulsion carried out to relieve the discomforting thought, e.g. excessive washing or repetitive rituals. Obsessions take the form of either a perceived threat of physical harm to oneself or others. Common OCD Obsessions revolve around:

* Contamination
* Harming self/others
* Losing control
* Sexual worries
* Excessive religious or moral issues
* Forbidden thoughts
* Excessive perfectionism
* A need to tell/confess
* Hypochondria
(I think I exhibit at least 4 of these)

Compulsions are carried out in response to the obsessions. They take the form of repetitive behaviours or rituals. Although they are carried out to relieve/reverse the discomfort felt by the obsession, they only relieve the discomfort in the short-term but in the longer-term exacerbate the condition. The effects of rituals and repetitive behaviour are cumulative, the more sufferers repeat the stronger the compulsion to repeat becomes. Common OCD compulsions are:

* Washing
* Ruminating (thinking obsessively)(Check)
* Repeating/checking
* Repeating words/ speech/conversation
* Touching
* Counting
* Seeking reassurance (check)
* Ordering/arranging (check)
* Hoarding (partial check)
* Praying
* Hair pulling


OCD – What it isn’t

* OCD isn’t a character flaw
* OCD isn’t a sign of personal weakness
* OCD isn’t a sign of mental instability
* OCD isn’t insanity
* OCD isn’t schizophrenia
* OCD isn’t an addiction (compulsive drinking, eating or drug-taking should not be confused
with OCD)

It’s not all bad!

On the contrary, OCD sufferers tend to be:

* Intelligent
* Articulate
* High achievers
* Creative
* Perfectionist
* Conscientious
* Sensitive

Supposedly we all have some OCD tendencies to some degree, but only when they interfere with your life (messing up relationships or work) does it cause problems.

I THINK TOO MUCH! I don't really want to. It does interfere with my life as people get exasperated (Harold told me I used big words a lot and he said that one time when I used this word) with me. I believe this is one reason I am divorced. I don't know. Well, I better get myself to bed. I have another long day tomorrow.

3 comments:

Fran said...

I agree that most of us have a little bit of OCD going on at one time or another. Your dad and I both do but we seem compatible with it and can laugh at our OCD ways. For example, he can not leave Qwirkle blocks alone if they are not just perfectly laid next to each other. He's worse than I am about it and we both laugh at this. This is rather lame as OCD's go but is compulsive none the less. :)

Wayne said...

"Exasperated" IS a big word. 5 syllables. But that doesn't mean it's a difficult word, or an archaic word. It just made Harold feel inferior in language skills, which I'm sure he was.

Some of the best accomplishments/discoveries in history were no doubt made as a result of someone's OCD.

Luella said...

"Exasperated" is not so enormously humongous to qualify you as particularly communicatively complex or difficult to comprehend. The overthinking can be troublesome, but that's one raison d'être that I love you and relate to you so well. Your mind is brilliant, but, yes, a little obsessive. Like, uh....me.