Saturday, 26 March 2011

Earth Hour

It is 9:43 pm local time and I just participated in the 5th Earth Hour.

http://www.earthhour.org/About.aspx

Sponsored by the World Wildlife Federation, it is a time for folks to turn their lights off for a whole hour. And during that hour you can reflect on what you can do about climate change. I spent my hour brushing and flossing my teeth in the semi-dark, since I did have a night light plugged in in the bathroom, praying, trying to nap, thinking about the planet and the reasons to conserve (not to be cool), going outside to see how many lights were on because other people didn't know about Earth Hour like I didn't until two days ago, interrupting Chase (who was trying to nap during the lights out period) to talk to Hunter about Happy Days and That 70's Show, washing some veggies for the casserole I plan to make tomorrow, wondering how many people I know were sitting with the lights out...

It was a very peaceful hour. And dark. I felt like using the computer would have violated the lights out policy, so I didn't use anything electronic for that hour.

Now life is back to normal. I sort of liked abnormal.

No comments: