Sunday, 13 March 2011

More Fasting thoughts

A friend told me today, and I like this analogy a lot, that the Fast is like a soul pruning.

'Abdu'l-Baha tells us, "Men who suffer not, attain no perfection. The plant most pruned by the gardeners is that one which, when the summer comes, will have the most beautiful blossoms and the most abundant fruit.
(Abdu'l-Baha, Paris Talks, p. 50)

He was referring to tests we endure, but I can see that it could also refer to the hardship we undergo sometimes during the Fast.

This is day 12 and I have been fortunate this year so far to be able to keep the Fast by staying healthy. I feel blessed. And yet I realize at the same time this realization which comes from the prayer for Naw-Ruz--
"For the doings of men are all dependent upon Thy good-pleasure, and are conditioned by Thy behest. Shouldst Thou regard him who hath broken the fast as one who hath observed it, such a man would be reckoned among them who from eternity had been keeping the fast. And shouldst Thou decree that he who hath observed the fast hath broken it, that person would be numbered with such as have caused the Robe of Thy Revelation to be stained with dust, and been far removed from the crystal waters of this living Fountain."
(Compilations, Baha'i Prayers, p. 260)

So, counting today I have 8 more days of fasting. I have often thought of my brothers and sisters in prison in Iran who may or may not be able to fast and not only does my heart go out to them, but I am strengthened to keep the fast myself knowing what a bounty and privilege it is to be able to do so.

Yes, there are times when I have thought about ways I might exempt myself from fasting, you know, tried to see if I fit into one of the "loopholes" that mean you don't "have" to fast, but then I remember that it is my soul that benefits from it and why would I want to retard my soul?

So, if you are reading this and are fasting or have fasted, I hope you feel the benefits of your efforts. I know I do.

"prayer and fasting is the cause of awakening and mindfulness and conducive to protection and preservation from tests...."

(Abdu'l-Baha, Baha'i World Faith - Abdu'l-Baha Section, p. 368)

Peace to you

No comments: