These are from an older journal, from when Evan was about 4, Ian was 2ish and Donovan was not yet born.
April 10, 1990--Tuesday
Evan took a picture of me with his transforming letter toy and then showed it to me. I told him, "Ooh, that's not a very flattering picture of me." And he said, "Well, we can PRETEND it's flat."
June 13 Wednesday
Evan is so cute. Today while I was changing my sheets Evan asked about the bubbles. I told him the bubbles got in the bed when the water got put in and he said, "Yeah cause water has bubbles. And that must be why they call it a waterbed...cause it's got water in it." Then, before breakfast he was playing with his play-doh Fun Factory. At the table while eating his eggs he said, "That fun factory sure is fun. Is that why they call it a fun factory...because it's fun? He's so smart.
That sort of reminds me of when I was a freshman in college and it dawned on me why they call a billfold a billfold. I'm slow.
June 23 Saturday
We were walking up the street from Lisa's (Evan and I) and he said, "If you were Lisa and I was Matthew and Ian was Brendan we would live in that house down there wouldn't we?" Then he said, "Do you know why you came out as a girl when you were born? Because our family needed a mommy! Do you know why our family needed a mommy? Because Daddy couldn't be the mommy. He doesn't have breastes so he couldn't nurse the babies."
Last night when Lee was helping Evan get ready for bed Evan picked out his Ghostbuster PJs to wear. they are for winter time (long sleeves) so Lee told him he didn't want those pajamas 'cause they were too hot, so Evan got them out of the drawer and said, "Well, I'll cool 'em off" and he held them in front of the fan.
While I was gone today Evan approached Lee and said "Mommy has been gone a long time." Lee said, "yeah." Then Evan said, "I hope she comes back at 8 oclock," and Lee said, That's a long time from now, " to which Evan looked forlorn. Then Lee said, "You don't need mommy," and Evan said, "I do, too." and Lee said, "Why?" and Evan said "I just do."
October 4, Friday 1991
At supper tonight Evan (5) asked if there was such a thing as a Katydidn't. I just laughed. Then he asked (after I told him I didn't think so) why God didn't or couldn't make one. He interrupted himself actually to ask how you talk to God. I told him when we pray we are talking to God, but he didn't want to pray (say prayers from prayer book) so I said "just get by yourself and say, "God, I'd like to have a talk." He hopped up from the table, went into our room and we heard him say, "God, I'd like to have a talk," and he also asked if there was such a thing as a katydidn't. He came back to say that God said there was such a thing as a Katydidn't and then he said, "Well, He said maybe there was, but He doesn't remember."
I guess that's enough. I'm tired of typing anyway....
2 comments:
Those are priceless!
How great that you still have these journals. So hard to remember alone.
Post a Comment