Saturday, 13 September 2008

One heck of a day

Ok, it is after midnight so even though technically it is Saturday and this will post as if written on Saturday, to me it is Friday night. This day started off with me not even getting to bed till 2:30 in the morning. I had spent some miserable time alone (had declined an invitation to play games with S and K and N and B thinking at that time I had to be at work by 8:30am) and was still awake when E got home at about 12:30am. He consoled me for about an hour and a half which is why I didn't get to bed until 2:30am.

I feel so lucky to have him for a son and to have had him with me last night. What a blessing. The people who understand depressed people the most are ones who have been there. I won't go into detail about how I'm feeling now or then as it just doesn't need to be talked about here (or maybe anywhere). I have things I need to do. Thoughts I need to think and a few I don't need to think.

I awoke at about 7:50 am with my eyes still a bit swollen. I didn't need to be at work until 9:30 this morning. I had a short day at my main place of work. I ran two errands with Pookie in tow (one was grocery shopping) and cooked three things for the people I work for and washed two loads of clothes for them. Left at a little after two to swing by the bank and go to my second job for a few hours.

My car, which has been dying on me and/or not starting for the last couple of weeks died on me and didn't restart right before I got to the bank. I walked to the bank to make my deposit hoping that the car would start when I got back (it usually does after sitting for a little while or whenever it decides to). It didn't and I was supposed to be in North Asheville by 3pm to pick up my charge from her school. Her parents, who actually work not too far from where I was stranded, had known about my car situation and had told me to call them if I had a problem so I did. The dad came to pick me up, I dropped him back off and took his car to pick up his daughter.

I planned to get help from one of the kids with the car after I got off work or call AAA if necessary. I called H on the way to P's house to see if he would be able to help me later and he said yes. So, I get to the school, pick up P and take her to her house. I called the dealership to ask them some questions about my car and while I was talking to them a restricted call came in which I didn't answer. I got off the phone with them and got another call, didn't recognize the number but answered it anyway. It was the police who had found my car and wanted me to get it moved right away as it was "in the middle of the road and a busy intersection" (it was not in the middle). If I couldn't get it moved they would have to tow it which would be a pain in the butt as well as expensive to retrieve.

I explained that I had planned to take care of it as soon as I got off of work and due to the nature of my work would not necessarily be able to drive back over there in their car (the parents) and on their time and with their child (which I decided already I would not charge them for). I said I had AAA and could get it towed to the dealership, but he said it takes too long sometimes for AAA to respond. I asked him if I could find out how long it might take and get back to him. He said OK. Maybe he suggested it, I don't remember. So, at one point I was on both phones at the same time (on hold with AAA and calling the police officer to make sure he didn't tow my car from it taking me so long). I got emotional with the AAA person (I've been very emotional lately anyway) and she was willing to make calls to see how quickly someone would be able to get to my car. In the meantime, P had to go potty and was telling me she wanted to change her clothes and on the way to the bathroom I noticed a pile of dog poop on the carpet. Later I realized there were two piles.

I am still negotiating on the phone with AAA and the police. AAA said they would need my keys to tow the car. So, I had to get a hold of the parents to ask if I could use their car and take their child back over to my car which they agreed to. C had called me during the other phone calls. I called C on the way back to my car to see if he could meet me there. He had called me to say that AAA had called the house saying they would need my keys and I told him I had already talked to someone and was on my way there. If anyone called back tell them I was on the way with the keys.

The parents had already determined or decided that they would leave work at 4:20 which was about the time the tow truck was loading my car. C followed me to their work and I gave them their daughter and their car. I got in C's car and on the way to the video game store I noticed he was close to empty and I had heard about two hours before that Asheville was running out of gas and the price would go up to $5 /gal on Saturday so I told him I'd buy him some gas (he had said he didn't have any money and would get it later). I encouraged him to do it now at the first place that didn't have a long line. It was $3.99 a gal.

We went back home, he left shortly to go to the school for marching band (football game). I walked and fed the dog. Then L, H and W (L's girlfriend's son) came by with a new microwave for me (L got a floor model real cheap for me, very thoughtful). We went to the game and they came by afterwards to install it. It was almost exactly like the other one, just a different color of white, and a few less bells and whistles, but the price was right.

While they were installing it, a dear friend, M, called and offered a car for me to use until I get mine back to running. I was going to use the one C has been driving, which was one of L's, and that was nice, but when school starts on Monday he will need it since there is no bus from either of our houses to the school. So, that is one less thing to stress about.

Oh, we lost the football game 33 to 3 or something ridiculous like that against Charlotte Christian School or Academy.

I cleaned my kitchen, washed and dried some clothes and began to write this post. I know I left a lot out, but that's ok. You get the gyst (sp?) of it all and now it is 1:10am (I began writing at 12:15).

E is hanging out with his longtime friend T and they are looking at funny videos online.

Guess I'll close for now. Bad, stressful things and good, thoughtful things all combined to form my day. I guess I should count my blessings.

2 comments:

Fran said...

I am exhausted just hearing about your day... both mentally and physically. :) Glad I have talked with you today. I hope you are getting some rest and are feeling better.

Mary said...

Wow, what a day. I hate that you are having to deal with all of that. Love you.